​​​​​​​​​​​​California Residency Req​uirements


To attend any of the Los Angeles Community Colleges as a resident of California, a student is required to have been a California resident for more than one year immediately preceding the Residence Determination Date. The "Residence Determination Date" is that day immediately preceding the opening day of instruction of the semester, winter, or summer session. Residence is defined as a union of act and intent.


Education Code Section 68040, 68044 title 5, CCR, section 5400, 54002, 54010 stated that a non-resident student is one who has not had residence in the State of California for more than one year immediately preceding the Residence Determination Date. Physical presence alone is not sufficient to establish California residency nor is intent when not coupled with continuous physical presence in the State. Certain non-U.S. citizens are permitted to establish residency and certain others are not. Check with the Admissions Office regarding your particular status. Residency classification is made when the application is accepted. Students may petition for a change of classification before the semester in question. A student classified as a non-resident will be required to pay non-resident tuition fees as established by the District Board of Trustees.


A Legal Resident of California Must Do Three Things

Note: The one year period begins when you are not only present in California but also have demonstrated clear intent to become a permanent resident of California.

1. Obtain physical presence in California one year and one day prior to the residency determination date.

Acceptable evidence of physical presence:

  • Owning residential property or continuous occupancy of rented or leased property in California
  • Current registration to vote and voting in California
  • Having a current license for a California business
  • Showing California as a home address on the California State tax forms for the previous year
  • Transcripts from a California high school or college for the last year just prior to entry in LAHC
  • Please review the Supplemental Residency Questionnair 2018-2019.pdf for further examples

2. Demonstrate clear intent to make California your permanent place of residency (no one factor is controlling):

Acceptable evidence of intent:

  • Possessing California driver's license
  • Possessing California motor vehicle license plates
  • Establishing and maintaining active California bank accounts
  • Holding active membership in service or social clubs
  • Utility bills (gas, water, power, telephone)
  • Documentation of credit agreements with California businesses
  • Please review the Supplemental Residency Questionnair 2018-2019.pdf for additional acceptable documents

3. Not be involved in conduct inconsistent with a claim of California residency. Some examples of inconsistent conduct are:

  • Maintaining voter registration in another state
  • Being a petitioner for divorce in another state
  • Attending an out-of-state institution as a resident of that state
  • Declaring non-residency for state income tax purposes
  • Maintaining a driver's license and/or vehicle registration in another state


Are you a member of the military on active duty or a member who was discharged within the last two years?

If your home state of record and address after separation is California and the date of discharge is within two years, you will be considered a California resident.  You can reclassify using on your DD-214.  If your circumstances are different from above, you will need to provide the additional California documentation from the checklist.

Please submit your documentation as follows:


During the last two years did you attend an out of state school or an online program at an out of state school?

To qualify for in state fees, a student needs to meet both requirements of residency. These requirements are intent to make California your home and being physically and continuously present for a year and a day prior to the residency determination date for the semester in which the student is planning to attend.  You may satisfy these requirements of residency by choosing one of the options below:

  1. Provide the Supplemental Residency Questionnair 2018-2019.pdf and your parents' most current California Income taxes indicating that you are their legal dependent as well as a copy of either parents' California driver's license that meets the year and one day residency requirement. If you filed recent California taxes you can provide them along with your California driver's license that meets the year and one day residency requirement; or
  2. You are able to reclassify under AB540.pdf if you attended a California high school for at least three years and graduated from a California High School.  We will need official High School Transcripts, the Supplemental Residency Questionnair 2018-2019.pdf, and the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form; or
  3. If you attended an out of state school and you were classified as a nonresident and paid nonresident fees, we will need such Verification from the out of state school, the  Supplemental Residency Questionnair 2018-2019.pdf and two other California documents from the list that is provided in the Residency packet.    

Please note that we are unable to reclassify you as California resident without the Supplemental Residency Questionnair 2018-2019.pdf and documentation.   Once a student is classified as a nonresident student, California State Auditors require that we attach to the student's application the Supplemental Residency Questionnair 2018-2019.pdf and supporting documentation that indicates the student qualifies for in state fees.   You will also need to process your residency reclassification before your registration date as fees are due upon registration.


Did you apply for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)?

On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who come to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status.

Please submit your documentation as follows:


Are you a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident card holder, or hold any other visa status?

LAHC bases residency determinations upon various regulations and instructions from California Education Code, Federal legislation, and guidelines from the California Community College Chancellor's office. We first must determine whether an individual's visa status allows a student to establish domicile in the United States for fee purposes. If the individual's visa allows establishment of domicile, then we must determine physical presence and intent to make California the student's home of record.

In both cases, students must provide original documents showing evidence of valid status and proof of at least one year and one day's physical presence in California and intent to maintain California as home.

We also make residency determinations on students who come from other states, other countries, regarding whether they are US citizens, permanent residents, or any other visa holders by first determining INS status, if applicable, and then determining if they meet physical presence and the intent to make California their home state. Attending and of the LACCD campuses for educational purposes alone does not grant the student residency.

Please submit your documentation as follows:

  • Original legal documentation(passport, visa, INS Notices of Action)
  • California Documentation (additional acceptable document can found on the SRQ)


Are you looking for AB-540 information?

Any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all public colleges and universities in California).


  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED, California High School Proficiency exam, or Certificate of Completion).

An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status.