Federal Aid Programs​

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants are usually awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or non-forcible sexual offense.

Award Amounts:
Students may receive up to $6,195 in the 2019-2020 and $6,345 in the 2020-2021 academic years.

Lifetime eligibility: 
A student may receive a Pell Grant for no more than 12 full-time semesters or its equivalent.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Students who will receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive FSEOGs first. The FSEOG does not need to be repaid.

Award Amounts:

The maximum award at Los Angeles Harbor College is $600.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if:

  • You are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution, but
  • Meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements, and
  • Your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
  • You were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.​

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It is available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need.
  • It is available to full-time students.
  • It is administered by schools participating in the Federal Work-Study Program. Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if your school participates.
  • Since this is a high demand program and positions are limited meeting certain deadlines is a requirement. Students who complete their FAFSA prior to May 1st of every year and indicated interest in the federal work study program on their FAFSA will be invited to complete the next step to become work study candidates.

Federal Student Loans

The U.S. Department of Education has two federal student loan programs.

  • Direct Subsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education at a college or career school.
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but in this case, the student does not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the loan.

Do your homework before taking out any student loan. Everything that you need to know about loans is at your fingertips in the LAHC Loan Guide.​