​​Frequently Asked Questions

1. What courses do I need to complete before I transfer?

A student needs to complete minimum university admission requirements coursework in the major, and general education courses. There are usually a minimum number of units a student needs to complete, too. All of these depend on the college or university a student wants to attend. In general, you will need transferable English and Math classes, and possibly speech. Please see a counselor.

2. Is it possible to take too many units, then not be able to transfer?

If a student has only attended a community college, no. But if you have attended a university or four-year college, there could be problems, and you need to consult with the university you want to transfer to. See a counselor for more information, (310) 233-4226 or -4230.

3. How long will it take me to transfer?

The time it takes to transfer depends on the number of units completed each term, and the minimum number of units that a transfer institution requires for admission. Most students will complete 60-70 units prior to transfer.

4. Do I need an Associate of Arts degree to transfer?

California colleges and universities do not require an AA to transfer unless a student intends to compete in athletics (NCAA) at the college or university. The AA Degree is a nice addition to your résumé!

5. I have attended another college/university. Do these courses transfer to LAHC?

Many courses transfer to LAHC, but if a student wants to know if a course transfers to a university or college, the student either needs to meet with a representative from the college or university he/she wishes to transfer to or check with a LAHC counselor.

6. Can LAHC guarantee my transfer to a university?

There are some colleges and universities that guarantee admission if a student completes a specific program and earns a specific GPA. Please click to our Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) page. Do not confuse TAG with the Honors Transfer Alliance Program. While the Honors program may give students an advantage when applying, a few select colleges or universities offer guaranteed admission. See the Honors Counselor for more information.

7. Are all LAHC courses transferable?

No. Only courses specifically designated as transferable will transfer to a college or university. Even if a course is noted as transferable, students must consult with a counselor to see where these courses can be applied.

8. When do I apply to transfer?

In short, the UC/CSU campuses accept applications the calendar year before the semester of transfer. UC system takes fall applications during the month of November. The CSU system takes fall applications from October 1st – November 30th and Spring applications from August 1st – August 30th. Private and out-of-state colleges and universities have different deadlines, but a student should always try to get an application in as soon as applications are being accepted, instead of waiting for the deadline.

9. Can I change my major after I transfer?

The ability to change a major completely depends on the rules governing major changes at the college or university that a student will be attending. Check with the college or university you plan to attend. Sometimes the answer to this question is "no, you may not change your major," and other times the answer is "yes."

10. I got bad grades at another college. Do I have to tell the universities I am applying to that I went to that college?

Yes. You are required to report all previous institutions that you have attended.

11. What happens if I don't report all previous institutions that I have attended?

A student will have provided false information, and could potentially have his/her admission or degree revoked.

12. How do "W's" affect my ability to transfer?

In most cases, W's are not a focus of admission decisions unless there is an excessive number of W's over a period of time.

13. How does taking a class "credit/no-credit" get looked at?

For the University of California and the California State University, there is no problem taking general education or electives on a credit/no credit basis. Courses in your major should be taken for a letter grade. In rare instances, a credit is factored into your GPA as a "C".

14. What GPA do I need to transfer to a UC, CSU?

The GPA necessary for admission varies from campus to campus and from major to major. When available, GPA requirements are posted on our Transfer Opportunities website.

15. What is the difference between a UC and Cal State?

California has two public university systems. The UC system emphasizes a theory-based approach to learning, and offers doctorate programs in most disciplines, along with graduate opportunities in medicine, dentistry, business, law, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine. The CSU offers traditional and career-specific majors, with graduate opportunities at the Master's level.

16. Can I use my foreign coursework when transferring?

Yes. There will be some limitations based on where the work was completed.

17. I already have one degree; can I transfer and get another one?

You must contact each campus to determine their policy on receiving a second Bachelor's. An increasing number of CSUs and UCs are no longer accepting students working on a second Bachelor's.

18. If I major in business at LAHC for my AA degree, will that affect the major that I want to transfer in (if it is different)?

Regardless of the AA you earn, you may transfer with a different major.

19. Will my high school grades and SAT scores count when I transfer?

Most private schools will accept transfer students using high school grades and test scores if they wish to transfer before completing 30-semester units. The UC and CSU system do not require high school grades and test scores when a student transfers as a junior, although they may ask you to send them your high school transcript.

20. I want to double major - what should I do?

At LAHC, you should complete as much coursework in both majors prior to transfer as time and energy permits. Universities and colleges have different rules about double majors, so a student would need to check with the specific institution.

21. What does it mean to minor?

To "minor" in a subject means to take a prescribed number of courses relating to a specific subject, in addition to your major courses.

22. What kind of grades do I need to transfer?

The GPA necessary for admission varies from campus to campus and from major to major. When available, GPA requirements are posted on our Transfer Opportunities website.

23. What schools can I transfer to where I can continue to work full-time?

The CSU system is very accommodating to students that work full time. Also, Mount St. Mary's, Pepperdine, University of Redlands, DeVry, University of Phoenix, Woodbury and Antioch Universities are accommodating.

24. How long will it take to finish the undergraduate degree once I transfer?

Time to degree is a result determined by the number of requirements a student completes prior to transfer, the number of requirements remaining to be completed, and the amount of units a student completes each term. If a student completes all of the GE, and lower division major requirements, and a total of 60 transferable semester units, and continues at the transfer institution full-time, the student should be able to graduate in two years.

25. Do schools care how long it takes me to complete my requirements at LAHC?

The UC and CSU systems are very accommodating to part-time, slowly progressing students, but USC and some elite institutions put a great deal of importance on a strong and rigorous curriculum each term.

26. Is there a counselor available to tell me what subjects are required if I plan to transfer to a UC campus to major in Dentistry?

For a counselor, you will need to contact the main Counseling Center/Information Desk (310) 233-4226 or -4230 to schedule an appointment. There is a "Prep for Pre-Dental School" major sheet, available at the Information Desk.

27. Can someone evaluate my transcripts to tell me what requirements I have left before I transfer?

As long as you are a LAHC student, you can make an appointment at the Information Desk to see a counselor, 310-233-4226 or -4230.

28. Why should I certify my transcripts?

To have your transcripts G.E. certified indicates to a UC/CSU that you have satisfied a certain amount of lower-division general education requirements that waives you from taking additional lower-division G.E.s at the university level. (It saves time and money.) Please note that there are departments at certain campuses that do not recommend G.E. certification (as in the case of Engineering at UCLA).

29. Can I apply as an undeclared major?

It depends on where you plan to transfer but very few schools allow transfer students to do so. Competitive schools will require applicants to declare a major. Students must keep in mind that there is no great advantage to being undeclared at the university level. An undeclared student will be in limbo and may end up spending more money than students who transfer with a major. If you are undecided about what you would like to major in, enroll in Personal Development 4, a career planning class, or call the Career Center to make an appointment with a Career Counselor. A Career Counselor can sit down with you one-on-one and guide you through the decision making process. We highly recommend this service to students.

30. Can I transfer a "D" grade?

A grade of "D" will not satisfy a general education requirement on the IGETC, nor will it be satisfactory for your major. Currently, "D" grades may meet CSU general education certification requirements in some areas. A grade of "D" in English 101, transferable Math, Critical Thinking (like English102), or Speech is unacceptable. Please see a counselor.

31. Is it true I can apply to more than one UC and more than one CSU with just one application?

Yes and no. The UC system allows you to apply to all its campuses with just one application. There is a fee for each school to which you have them send your application. The CSU system requires a separate paper application for each campus. Using the online application is an efficient way to save time.

32. Who transfers more students, El Camino College or LAHC?

El Camino College transfers more students simply because more ECC students apply for transfer every year. ECC numbers are in no way an indication of superior academics over Harbor or vice versa. ECC has a much larger student population than Harbor. Naturally, ECC should have more transfer students. For exact numbers, please visit the Transfer Center.

33. Are my chances of transferring better at El Camino College or LAHC?

NO. It does not matter which California Community College you attend. Your California Community College is NOT a determining factor in admissions. A student's chances are enhanced based on the work they put into their academics, not where they attend.

34. How do I meet with a University Representative?

Contact the Transfer Center (located in Administration Building Room 127) at (310) 233-4282 to make an appointment with a visiting representative.

35. What are the IGETC and CSU G.E. sheets?

The IGETC and CSU G.E. sheets are lower division general education patterns that students may follow while in attendance at a CCC. Completion of these patterns waives a student from taking additional lower-division breadth requirements at a UC or CSU.

36. What is the difference between the IGETC and CSU G.E. sheet?

IGETC is the G.E. pattern used to satisfy lower-division general education requirements at both UC and CSU campuses. The CSU G.E. sheet is used strictly for CSUs.

37. How do I know what is equivalent at other universities or community colleges?

To determine what courses will transfer to a UC or a CSU, log on to For California community colleges and private universities, consult with a counselor.

38. As long as I pick up an AA or AS the CSU has to admit me, right?

No, it is possible to earn an associate degree and not have taken the necessary CSU requirements. If you would like to earn an associate degree and transfer at the same time, see a counselor.

39. What is the LAHC CEEB/ETS Code and Financial Aid Code?

The LAHC CEEB/ETS Code is 004395 and the LAHC Financial Aid Code is 001224.

-Last Updated: 5/10/17


Office Hours​​ / Location
​SSA - 105
Monday - Thursday  9am - 7pm​ ​
Office Number:  (310) 233-4282​

Stay Connected With Us