California is home to over a hundred private universities. Many private universities accept lower-division transfer students, allowing students to transfer with less than 60 transferable units completed. In addition, some private universities accept CSU GE-Breadth and IGETC patterns. LAHC Transfer Center recommends students who are interested in private universities to meet with a counselor.
University of Southern California (USC)
USC Transfer Admissions Website
- Present at least one year of rigorous, full-time academic coursework, with strong grades. In 2017, the average GPA of admitted transfer students was 3.7. Consistent progress toward a degree and strong academic performance greatly influence our admission decisions.
- Complete the equivalent of USC’s lower-division Writing requirement, Writing 130.
- Meet our minimum Math requirement by demonstrating a mastery of Algebra II in high school, or Intermediate Algebra in college with a grade of C or better. Many majors require more math.
- Make satisfactory progress toward meeting USC General Education requirements.
- Complete additional lower-division courses required by their intended major, if applicable. Refer to Additional Coursework by Major to see if your intended major requires lower-division courses that should be completed before you transfer. This is especially important for students pursuing degrees in science, engineering, architecture, dental hygiene or business.
- Students whose native language is not English must also demonstrate English-language proficiency.
University of Southern California and L.A. Harbor College Articulation Agreement
Loyola Marymount University (LMU)
LMU Transfer Admissions
Programs included in the LMU Transfer Admission Agreement :
Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts
- Students who complete a minimum of 30 transferable semester units prior to filing an application for admission to LMU with a minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA, and enroll full-time in consecutive full terms at LACCD including LAHC with a minimum 3.00 GPA in any one term, will be guaranteed admission to Bellarmine College.
College of Communication and Fine Arts
- Students who complete a minimum of 30 transferable semester units prior to filing an application for admission to LMU with a minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA, and enroll full-time in consecutive full terms at LACCD including LAHC with a minimum 3.00 GPA in any one term, will be guaranteed admission to the College of Communication and Fine Arts.
College of Business Administration
- Students who complete a minimum of 30 transferable semester units prior to filing an application for admission to LMU with a minimum 3.50 cumulative GPA, enroll fulltime in consecutive full terms with a minimum 3.00 GPA at LACCD in any one term,
Programs and majors NOT included in the LMU Transfer Admission Agreement:
- The School of Film and Television - All majors
- The Seaver College of Science and Engineering - All majors
Marymount California University
The following documents are required in order to apply for admission as a transfer student:
- A completed admission application accompanied by a nonrefundable applications fee of $50 or an official University Board Fee Waiver form.
- An official high school transcript showing high school graduation date for students transferring fewer than 60 credit hours.
- Official transcripts from all colleges, universities or other post-secondary institutions at which coursework was attempted or completed.
- The following documents are recommended (but not required) for admission consideration:
- An academic letter of recommendation from an instructor, counselor or adviser. Applicants not currently enrolled in studies may submit an employer or personal reference.
- Personal statement, essay or writing samples.
- Interviews may be requested of some candidates.
- Completion of college-level composition (or equivalent) with a grade of C or better.
- Completion of college-level mathematics with a grade of C or better.
- Cumulative 2.75 GPA in transferable courses.
- Completion of at least 24-semester units.
Transfer Admissions for other Private California Universities:
Across the country, there are thousands of universities. Students who want to pursue universities outside of California are encouraged to meet with a counselor to discuss course selection and educational planning.
The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program offers to reduce tuition for California students who meet the institution’s WUE admissions criteria and enroll in colleges in the Western States including North Dakota and South Dakota.
For more information about WUE. Click here
Click here to view a list of Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) colleges
Arizona State University (ASU)
Transfer Admissions Website
Guaranteed Program for Admission
- Designed for California community college students, the Guaranteed Program for Admission helps students stay focused on earning an undergraduate degree and plan for a smooth transfer to ASU.
General university admission is guaranteed upon successfully meeting the following conditions*:
• An associate degree with a minimum cumulative transfer GPA of 2.50
• A fully certified Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or California State University General Education (CSUGE), with a minimum cumulative transfer GPA of 2.50 plus either a final high school transcript or GED
• Completion of at least 24 transferable semester credits with a minimum cumulative transfer GPA of 3.00 (4.00=“A”) plus either a final high school transcript or GED
*Some ASU colleges and schools have additional or higher requirements for admission into their programs.
Transfer Admissions for other Out-of-State Colleges/Universities