​​Chapter 33  -  Post 9/11 GI Bill, Transfer of Entitlement

​​Qualifications:      You must have completed at least 6 years of service on the date your request is approved,

and you agree to add 4 more years of service.


You have completed at least 10 years of service on the date your request is approved,

you can't commit to add 4 more years of service because of either a policy or statute,

but agree to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed.


The person receiving the transferred benefits has enrolled in DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System).

Benefit Detail:  The option to transfer is open to any member of the armed forces active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® , and meets the necessary criteria.  The transferability option allows service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children.

VA Website LinkTransferring Post 9/11 GI Bill Breakdown

How to Apply:  While still on active duty, request to transfer, change, or revoke a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE).


The fastest application method for the spouse or dependent would be online here:  VA Education Benefits Application


​You may go in person to an VA regional office and have a VA employee help you.  The nearest VA regional office for benefits to LAHC:

1045 West Redondo Beach Blvd. Suite 150,  Gardena, CA 90247


You also may fill out VA Form 22-1990 (Application for Education Benefits) and mail it to our VA Regional Processing Office (RPO) at:

P.O. Box 8888,  Muskogee, OK 74402-8888​​

VA Form 22-1990.pdf